- Category: Events
- Published: July 11, 2011
- Written by The Black Perspective
National Black MBA Association's 33rd Annual Conference & Exposition Invites Attendees To POWER UP Your Profitability In The New World Economy
The National Black MBA Association (NBMBAA®) today announced its 33rd Annual Conference & Exposition will be held Tuesday, October 4 through Saturday, October 8 at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta. The nation’s largest African American business and professional conference and exposition will draw an audience of more than 12,000 executives, entrepreneurs, students, and more than 350 corporations and public sector organizations looking to hire MBA graduates, seasoned professionals, and interns for available positions across the country.
Designed to promote education, leadership, and economic growth amongst its membership, the NBMBAA conference will provide the tools to ensure that individuals and business owners are uniquely prepared and positioned to capitalize on new opportunities as the U.S. begins a slow economic recovery from a devastating recession.
“Our most valuable assets are our members. That's why this year's conference theme, Power Up Your Profitability, focuses on building the strengths and talents of our members so they can be even greater contributors to the global community,” says NBMBAA President and CEO Kimberly Corbin.
Serving as honorary co-chairs for the conference, are Geri Thomas, senior vice president, global diversity and inclusion executive and Georgia market president for Bank of America and Harold Ford, Jr., managing director and senior client manager for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney.
Stephen Covey, New York Times and #1 Wall Street Journal bestselling author of The Speed of Trust, a groundbreaking and paradigm-shifting book, is set to deliver a dynamic keynote address on Wednesday, October 5. Renowned Grammy® recording artist and international philanthropist John Legend will give the keynote remarks at the Keynote Luncheon on Friday, October 7.
A free Town Hall, “Will the Real Role Model Please Stand Up?” on Thursday, October 6, will explore the impact of modern messaging on the next generation and where our youth and young adults can look for positive role models.
Sponsors of this year’s conference and exposition include Chrysler, Dell, Deloitte, Delta, FedEx, Genentech, Humana, IBM, MassMutual, Nationwide, Pitney Bowes, State Farm, United Healthcare, Vanguard, and Wells Fargo.
Other highly anticipated programming will include:
- Leaders of Tomorrow®--hundreds of enterprising high school students mentored through local NBMBAA chapters will meet in Atlanta to focus on excellence during this intense four-day conference, when they will work with the country’s most accomplished personal and professional development coaches and trainers to help them develop the habits necessary to chart a course towards their goals. In addition, students will have the opportunity to learn the secrets of success directly from the best – hearing from high-level corporate executives, public officials, and thought leaders and networking with thousands of National Black MBA Association members
- Entrepreneurial Institute– offering professional development and networking opportunities to aspiring and current business owners, thought a series of workshops, panel discussions, and networking forums. Held on Wednesday, October 5
- Innovation Whiteboard Challenge (Institutes Breakfast)—Five people will have five minutes each to sell their business their business idea to a panel of venture capitalists, academic instructors and successful entrepreneurs – using only a whiteboard and marker. The winner will receive $10,000. Held Wednesday, October 5
- Leadership Institute—an executive development program with courses for experienced managers and high potential employees taught by credentialed and experienced faculty. Held on Wednesday, October 5
- Career Fair & Exposition, featuring the NBMBAA Career Success Network Center® and Employment Network®. – job and franchise opportunities available from more than 350 Blue Chip corporations. A must-do activity for anyone serious about succeeding in a tough and competitive environment. Held on Thursday, 10/6 and Friday, 10/7. Career Fair Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will take place Thursday, October 6.
- NBMBAA Case Competition® – Teams of graduate business students will compete for up to $5,000 and employment opportunities. The competition will be held on Thursday, 10/6 and Friday, 10/7. Each night after intense, no-nonsense days of learning, attendees can unwind at the various nightlife and lifestyle experiences offered this year, including
- Club MBA—After an intense day of learning and connecting, come to Club MBA to socialize and kickback with music and dancing. This venue, which is a popular attraction for attendees, is the perfect place to unwind and network
- MBA Live—A lifestyle late-night event taking place at an off-sight venue where companies can engage with attendees in a non-traditional way , with celebrities, musical artist and celebrity DJ’s. MBA Live takes place Thursday, October 6, Friday, October 7 and, Saturday, October 8
- The National Black Masters Golf Tournament—Ready to meet and network with the Who’s Who of the NBMBAA? Then break out the golf clubs! You don’t want to miss the National Black Masters Golf Tournament on Saturday, October 8, benefiting the Leaders of Tomorrow® program! Hosted by actor, Anthony Anderson, tee time is 8 a.m.
Daily e-blasts and social media updates will keep conference participants engaged and informed. To register for the conference, for more information about free admission to the Town Hall, and a full schedule, please visit http://www.nbmbaaconference2011.org. Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/nbmbaahq and “Like” us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/nbmbaaHQ.
About the National Black MBA Association Established in 1970, the National Black MBA Association (NBMBAA) is dedicated to developing partnerships that result in the creation of intellectual and economic wealth in the black community through its five channels of engagement; education, career, leadership, entrepreneurship, and lifestyle. With 40-plus chapters, a membership base of more than 8,000 and more than 450 corporate partners, the NBMBAA provides access to its constituents through services such as the Annual NBMBAA Conference; Local Empowerment Initiatives; and other programs. To learn more about the NBMBAA or to become a member, visit www.nbmbaa.org.