New Interactive Platform for Parents and College-Bound Students
The Get College ReadySM website offers free resources and tools to help guide student’s transition into college and the development of responsible money and credit management habits
SAN FRANCISCO, April 7, 2014 –To help parents and students prepare financially for college, Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) launched the Get College ReadySMwebsite, a new, interactive online platform that offers a quiz, a calculator, videos and educational articles. Wells Fargo created the Get College Ready website because next to financing a home, paying for an education can be one of the most important financial events in an individual’s life.
The Get College Ready online platform offers information about how to prepare a financial plan for college, compare education award letters, understand available financing products and resources, and learn about available options to cover non-tuition expenses such as books, meal plans, rent, campus events, and miscellaneous expenses like cell phone plans, movies, and eating out.
“As a father of three, I can relate to the questions that parents and students ask when trying to understand all the factors that go into paying for a college education,” said John Rasmussen, head of Wells Fargo’s Education Financial Services. “The Get College Ready websiteis a user-friendly interface that will help bring clarity to the financial milestones that parents and students face when preparing for college. We’re in the business of serving customers and working collaboratively to position them for success. This tool is a key ingredient to help them achieve their dream of a higher education.”
The Get College Ready website includes the following features:
Knowledge Check: An interactive quiz to test the customer’s knowledge and understanding of the different financial responsibilities involved in getting a college education.
Calculator: The Wells Fargo’s College Cost Calculator can help provide an estimate of how much money they may need to borrow annually for college.
Mr. Fellows Videos: A fun video series featuring Mr. Fellows, a college “advisor”, who explains the ins and outs of the college financial aid journey in five easy steps.
Website visitors can also learn more about Wells Fargo’s products and services that are available to students, such as insurance, college credit cards, bank accounts and Hands on Banking® – a Wells Fargo’s interactive program designed to help kids, teens, young adults and adults learn more about the basics of finances and money management.
As students plan for college, Wells Fargo offers the following five tips:
- Apply for Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): Regardless of your family’s income, all students should complete the FAFSA.
- Calculate for non-tuition expenses: From books to cellphone plans, you should take all your expenses for school-related and extra-curricular activities into account as you look at your financial needs.
- Explore other financial options: If the funding you receive on your award letter doesn’t cover your total costs, you should explore additional options that fit your family’s circumstances and preferences.
- Establish a good credit history: Start by putting your apartment and utilities in your own name and regularly paying your bills on time.
- Consider renters and car insurance: Your valuables may not be covered when you live on campus. To protect your belongings, you may want to consider renters insurance. In addition, if you are no longer covered by your parent’s or another policy, you may also want to consider auto insurance.
To access the Get College Ready tools and resources, visit www.wellsfargomedia.com/GetCollegeReady.
About Wells Fargo
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a nationwide, diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.5 trillion in assets. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through more than 9,000 locations, 12,000 ATMs, and the internet (wellsfargo.com), and has offices in 36 countries to support customers who conduct business in the global economy. With more than 264,000 team members, Wells Fargo serves one in three households in the United States. Wells Fargo & Company was ranked No. 25 on Fortune’s 2013 rankings of America’s largest corporations. Wells Fargo’s vision is to satisfy all our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. Wells Fargo perspectives are also available at blogs.wellsfargo.com